5.13.2012

Huckleberry Cafe and Bakery



I'm not so sure if there is ever time when Huckleberry Cafe and Bakery in Santa Monica is not busy and bustling with people. I walked in on a Tuesday at about 11 o'clock in the morning, saw that all tables were taken, and several people were standing around waiting for a table to open up. I went up to the counter and proceeded to order my food; Huckleberry's system is such that you walk up to the counter and place your order before seating yourself. I lucked out as shortly after I placed my order, two ladies got up to leave their table. I heard that on weekends, a long line awaits at Huckleberry with people spilling out the door. Well, lucky for me, I was on vacation in L.A. and had the luxury of going on a Tuesday. The entire time I was there, the place was busy and noisy. As soon as people left, some would come in.




My soft baked eggs were served with roasted tomato sauce, white beans, basil, and parmesan cheese. I must have loved the white beans and sauce so much because before I knew it, I was putting spoonfuls of it into my mouth as though I was drinking a really hearty soup or eating stew. I wanted to finish up the entire roasted tomato sauce in my bowl. The slice of freshly baked rustic bread helped soak up everything in my bowl. I was full but I was also very happy.




Huckleberry Cafe and Bakery is a husband-and-wife owned and run place which adds a local charm to this place in Santa Monica. Zoe, the wife, learned to bake at Tartine in San Francisco, and given the very respectable credentials of Tartine, this itself speaks for Huckleberry. It seems like any famous pastry chef today takes pride in having interned or worked at Tartine though that is no surprise. T and I have been to Tartine in San Francisco and it has become one of our favorite bakeries since. Huckleberry's food items are inspired by local, seasonal, and organic produce at the farmers market. Their shelves are lined with rustic breads and pastries baked fresh every morning.




--
Huckleberry Cafe and Bakery
1014 Wilshire Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90401



1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see restaurants get creative with local produce, it helps out the local economy. Anyways, fantastic pictures and great words. (:

    ReplyDelete